Sunday 18 August 2013

DIY watercolour bunting



I wanted some new bunting to hang above my desk, but I wanted to see if I could make some that were a bit more original than plain coloured flags, so this was kind of an experiment, but I think it worked out well!
You will need:
- a set of watercolour paints
a pencil & scissors
- a sheet of white card
- string or thick white embroidery thread 
- washi tape (or clear tape, but it's less pretty) 
- a print out of the template on the right, at the size you want your bunting flags. 
-blu-tack (or other means of hanging your bunting up)


First, I cut out card rectangles slightly bigger than my template. I decided I wanted my bunting to say 'hello' so I cut out one for each of the five letters. Then I lightly traced out each letter and the landscapes I wanted behind them. For the backgrounds, you could try other ideas such as floral or geometric patterns as well.



 Then I painted the landscapes (not in too much detail as it doesn't matter an awful lot if they are not amazing) being careful to not paint in the letters so that they stand out nicely- any edges that looked a bit untidy I ran a thin line of white paint along to neaten them up. 


Once I had painted each rectangle, I put the printed template on top, making sure the letter was centred and then cut it down to shape. I also scored the fold (see below) to make it easier for myself later.




You could now just attach them to the string, but I decided to paint red stripes on mine as it looks a bit retro and suited my flags, so I used a small amount of really watered down paint to do this.



I let this dry, and then I spaced out my letters along the piece of string, folded back the top flaps and secured them with washi tape. If you are using thick card, you may need to stick these down first to make sure they are secure.





And this is what mine look like- I think they are quite cute, original and can be adapted to suit any room or make as gifts! I hope you enjoyed this DIY, 
Caroline xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment