Sunday 17 February 2013

Trail Mix DIY

Today was so sunny that I think I can definitely say Spring is almost here, and along with it long Spring walks! I first came across trail mix in a book a while ago, and wondered how I hadn't heard of it before! It's perfect for long walks and car journeys, and I normally keep mine in an old altoids tin, but I found some cute little jars from Tiger (Sorry- I couldn't find them on the website!) and knew they would be perfect to keep trail mix in, and to give as tiny gifts!
 

I used Sharpies and permanent markers to draw patterns and little pictures on the jars. I left the last side blank for a list of ingredients.


Next, I chose my ingredients and cut them up so that they were about as small as my little finger. Some of them, like the glazed orange peel didn't need cutting at all as they were quite small to start off with. Be VERY careful when you are cutting them up, especially sticky ingredients like dried mango or crystallised ginger and hard nuts and cereals. (Obviously don't use nuts or fruits you are allergic to either!)


I collected all my ingredients together and taste- tested them to find the nicest combinations. This is what I used: (from top left) granola, pistachio nuts, muesli, glazed orange peel, raisins, blanched almonds, dried mango and sesame snaps. I went for quite a healthy mix, although you could also use things like mini-marshmallows, chocolate chips and pieces of digestive biscuits. Don't use fresh fruits  or things that are likely to go soggy after a while (like some biscuits etc...)

 
Once you have decided which ingredients you want in each jar, you can either layer them up, or mix all the ingredients together- I did one of each! 


 

And there you go! Once you have eaten it all, you can try a different combination of ingredients! Yum!
Caroline xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment